What Our Therapists Offer
Children as young as 4 years old
- Young kids need to be talked to and played with in a special way; our therapists are specifically trained, certified, and skilled in helping children who have been traumatized, experiencing family conflict (such as divorce), and grieving a loss begin the healing process.
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- TF-CBT is a therapy that parents and children can learn and use together. It is evidence-based to significantly help children and adolescents who have had emotional and behavioral difficulties related to traumatic life events. Children and their families learn new skills to help work through their feelings related to traumatic life events, manage and resolve stressful thoughts, feelings and behaviors related to the trauma, and enhance safety, parenting skills, and family communication.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- We have four therapists who are trained in EMDR and one therapist is that is certified in and an approved EMDR consultant through EMDRIA. We offer EMDR therapy as well as supervision.
- We have a Canine Companions for Independence Facility Dog named Flower. Flower assists our two directors during their therapy sessions. Flower assists with EMDR, TF-CBT, Play Therapy, and many other types of treatment. If you would like to work with Flower please let the office manger know.
Play and Sand therapy
- We have a large play room where children and our therapists play while experiencing the healing process of therapy. Sand trays, crafts, and toys help kids express their thoughts, feelings, and fears in ways that they would not naturally talk about it in an office setting. Oftentimes, play is the best way children communicate.
Men and Women
- Our therapists are skilled in working with men and women individually, together as a couple, as a parenting team, and as a whole family.
Adolescents with behavior problems
- Our therapists help adolescents learn to express themselves in a productive way, how to have positive communication, regulate emotions, tolerate distress, and learn life skills corresponding to certain developmental milestones.
- The elderly are often a forgotten segment of our society that are dealing with a lot of issues: loss of their youth, loss of their significant other or friends, loss of mobility, end of life issues, etc. Our therapists can help these clients with these anxious and depressing times.
- Our therapists help clients identify and change their thinking and emotional responses. When the client is able to do this, they can relate to others in different ways as well as change their behaviors.
Depression and anxiety in all children, adolescents, and adults
- Depression and anxiety can often feel very debilitating to individuals which often causes intense distress and impairment. Our therapists work with their clients to find ways to better cope with anxiety, depression, and to find peace.
Trauma in children, adolescents, adults, and their family members (e.g. physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and natural disasters):
- Traumatic events do not have to define an individual’s life forever. Our therapists work with children, adolescents, and adults by working through the fear and the intense emotions they may feel about the traumatic event and the residual side effects related to trauma.
Chronic illness in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Muscular Dystrophy, etc.
- A chronic illness with one member of a family is difficult for ALL members of a family. Often all members of the family will need some form of therapy. Our therapists help ease the tension in a home & lesson the shame & guilt that the “sick” family member may be feeling.
Terminal illness in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease
- Coping with anticipatory grief can often feel like the oxygen is being sucked out of your lungs! Our therapists can work with the clients to find peace in those final days so they are filled with as much joy as possible, & not fear, anger & resentment.
Disabilities in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Autism, Downs Syndrome, & Mental Retardation
- Our therapists are trained to help with behavior problems that are commonly found in individuals with disabilities. Our therapists also recognize that a lot of individuals who have the blessing of having disabilities may also be diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to the confusion of not being like everyone else.
- Our therapists recognize that having a disabled family member can feel exhausting, leading to depression & anxiety in the caregiver. Our therapists believe in working with the entire team and family that are working with the individual who has be diagnosed with disabilities. Our therapists can help ease some of that tension in the caregiver, letting them know it is ok to feel overwhelmed at times.
Grief & loss in children/adolescents/adults (including pet loss)
- When death occurs, it can be devastating. Our therapists work with their clients to heal after this loss.
- Our goal, when working with domestic violence cases is to provide treatment for the child, adolescent, and adult survivors of abuse. Our therapy includes individual & eventual group therapy, child play therapy, marriage, & family therapy.
- We also provide treatment for the perpetrators, because we believe that they too are survivors of abuse. Our therapy with the perpetrator focuses on addressing the psychological, emotional, & physical behaviors, while at the same time helping the perpetrator understand why the violence arises.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- CBT is based on the idea that our thoughts cause our feelings & behaviors, not external things, like people, situations, & events. When an individual realizes this, it is then that they can change the way they think & learn to feel & act better even if the situation does not change. Our therapists believe that CBT is a productive therapy for all ages and can help in brief solution-focused therapy.
Critical Incident Stress Management & Debriefing (CISM)
- Our therapists have responded and are trained to respond during crisis events during our client’s lives. We also work with clients throughout crisis timeline.
Addiction including alcohol, drug, & pornography.
- Addictions are often a form of self-medication. Our therapists can help those on the road to recovery heal from the traumas that clients are trying to self-medicate. Pornography addiction is not just an “adult” problem. Therapists are seeing children as young as 9 & 10 years old now. Our therapists can help these clients free themselves from the grip of this isolating addiction.
Marriage & family therapy
- Desmond Tutu once said: “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” Sometimes it is hard work to live with and love those we are related to. Our therapists can help mend broken relationships and teach communication skills.
- Affects one in 100 people, treatment consists of drug therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy to target psychotic symptoms, and depressive and manic symptoms focused on family support systems
Alcohol & Drug Assessments
- Justice-involved individuals, court-approved/court-ordered substance abuse assessments with the ASAM screening tools.
Highly skilled in litigation issues, including testifying in court
- Our therapists have been to court many times to testify as expert witnesses.
- Changing a person’s thoughts and behaviors is not enough to “cure” an eating disorder. He or she must work to explore the underlying issues that led to the eating disorder. Therapy may need to focus on improving personal relationships or getting beyond an event or situation that triggered the disorder in the first place.