What our therapists can offer you.
Children as young as 4 years old
- Young kids need to be talked to and played with in a special way, our therapists are specially trained & certified, skilled in helping kids who have been traumatized, experiencing a divorce, grieving a loss begin the healing process.
Play & Sand therapy
- Large play room where kids & our therapists play while experiencing the healing process of therapy. Sand trays, crafts, & toys help kids express thoughts/fears in ways that they wouldn’t with just talking about it because this is often the only way small kids know how to communicate.
Men & Women
- Our therapists are skilled in working with men and women individually, together as a couple, as a parenting-team, & even as a whole family.
Adolescents with behavior problems
- Our therapist’s help adolescents learn to express themselves in a productive way, how to have positive communication, life skills, and through important developmental milestones.
- The elderly are often a forgotten segment of our society that are dealing with a lot of issues: loss of their youth, loss of their significant other or friends, loss of mobility, end of life issues, etc. Our therapists help these clients with these anxious and depressing times.
- Our therapists help clients identify & change their thinking & emotional responses. When the client is able to do this, they can relate to others in different ways & change their behaviors.
Depression/Anxiety in all children/adolescents/adults/elderly
- Depression/anxiety can often feel debilitating to the point of not wanting to even get out of bed. Our therapists work with their clients to find ways to better cope with anxiety & find peace.
Traumatic events with children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, & natural disasters.
- Traumatic events do not have to define a person’s life forever. Our therapists work with children, adolescents, & adults to work through the fear and the intense emotions they may feel about the traumatic event and the residual side effects related to trauma.
Chronic illness in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Muscular Dystrophy, etc.
- A chronic illness with one member of a family is difficult for ALL members of a family. Often all members of the family will need some form of therapy. Our therapists help ease the tension in a home & lesson the shame & guilt that the “sick” family member may be feeling.
Terminal illness in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease
- Coping with anticipatory grief can often feel like the oxygen is being sucked out of your lungs! Our therapists can work with the clients to find peace in those final days so they are filled with as much joy as possible, & not fear, anger & resentment.
Disabilities in children/adolescents/adults (& family members). For example: Autism, Downs Syndrome, & Mental Retardation
- Our therapists are trained to help with behavior problems that are commonly found in individuals with disabilities. Our therapists also recognize that a lot of individuals who have the blessing of having disabilities may also be diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to the confusion of not being like everyone else.
- Our therapists recognize that having a disabled family member can feel exhausting, leading to depression & anxiety in the caregiver. Our therapists believe in working with the entire team and family that are working with the individual who has be diagnosed with disabilities. Our therapists can help ease some of that tension in the caregiver, letting them know it is ok to feel overwhelmed at times.
Grief & loss in children/adolescents/adults (including pet loss)
- When death occurs, it can be devastating. Our therapists work with their clients to heal after this loss.
- Our goal, when working with domestic violence cases is to provide treatment for the child, adolescent, and adult survivors of abuse. Our therapy includes individual & eventual group therapy, child play therapy, marriage, & family therapy.
- We also provide treatment for the perpetrators, because we believe that they too are survivors of abuse. Our therapy with the perpetrator focuses on addressing the psychological, emotional, & physical behaviors, while at the same time helping the perpetrator understand why the violence arises.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- CBT is based on the idea that our thoughts cause our feelings & behaviors, not external things, like people, situations, & events. When an individual realizes this, it is then that they can change the way they think & learn to feel & act better even if the situation does not change. Our therapists believe that CBT is a productive therapy for all ages and can help in brief solution-focused therapy.
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- TF-CBT is a therapy that parents & children learn & use together. It is evidence-based to significantly help children & adolescents who have had emotional & behavioral difficulties related to traumatic life events. Children & parents learn new skills to help work through their feelings related to traumatic life events, manage & resolve stressful thoughts, feelings, & behaviors related to the trauma, & enhance safety, parenting skills, & family communication.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Our therapists use EMDR specifically with clients who have experienced a traumatic event and as an adjunct to other trauma-based therapies.
Critical Incident Stress Management & Debriefing (CISM)
- Our therapists have responded and are trained to respond during crisis events during our client’s lives. We also work with clients throughout crisis timeline.
Addiction including alcohol, drug, & pornography.
- Addictions are often a form of self-medication. Our therapists can help those on the road to recovery heal from the traumas that clients are trying to self-medicate. Pornography addiction is not just an “adult” problem. Therapists are seeing children as young as 9 & 10 years old now. Our therapists can help these clients free themselves from the grip of this isolating addiction.
Marriage & family therapy
- Desmond Tutu once said: “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” That doesn’t mean they are easy to live with. Sometimes it is hard work to live with, & love, those we are related to. Our therapists can help mend broken relationships & teach communication skills.
Bipolar, schizoaffective disorder
- Affects one in 100 people, treatment consists of drug therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy to target psychotic symptoms, depressive & manic symptoms, & family support systems are strengthened.
Alcohol & Drug Assessments
- Justice-involved individuals, court-approved/court-ordered substance abuse assessments with the ASAM screening tools.
Highly skilled in litigation issues, including testifying in court
- Our therapists have been to court many times to testify as expert witnesses.
- Changing a person’s thoughts and behaviors is not enough to “cure” an eating disorder. He or she must work to explore the underlying issues that led to the eating disorder. Therapy may need to focus on improving personal relationships or getting beyond an event or situation that triggered the disorder in the first place.